In this article, we’ll be looking at how you can use Instagram for your business.
What is Instagram?… Instagram is essentially a photo-sharing service with some distinctive features, and offers good integration with major social networks. The filtering and the square-shaped photographs give it the identity that has helped make Instagram one of the most successful social tools of the last couple of years. Instagram was bought by Facebook for a cool $1 Billion in Spring 2012.
Who uses Instagram?… 90 million people log on every month, according to their press center. Around 25% are under 18, and 35% are between the ages of 18-25 – so you’re aiming at a young audience here.
How can it work for business?… Instagram can help give customers fascinating insights into your business. Especially if you’re a small company, showing personality can really help give your business the marketing edge. Beautiful, fascinating, or funny pictures have the potential to go viral, giving your company huge exposure if used in the right way. You can also use Instagram to promote your products, or show people using them. If a new product prototype arrives in the office, give your customers a sneak peek. It can also be used to improve customer service – for example, if the company has messed up, create a visual apology. It’s all about showing personality!
Any top tips?…
- First of all, download the app from Google Play or Apple’s App Store. You’ll need Instagram on a mobile device.
- One of the main benefits of Instagram is its integration with the other social networks. You can choose where your Instagram photos go, so first consider whether the content will be appropriate for your business’ audience on each platform before you add them all.
- Brand it up. If you’ve taken a photo that could go viral, get your company logo in. You can go old-school here; just hold up a little bit of paper with your logo printed on it in the corner of the photo.
- Use hashtags. These aren’t just confined to Twitter – they can also help your photo find the right audience on Instagram, too.
- Stati.gram. This app provides useful analytics and statistics, and an effective web viewer. It is particularly popular
Check out our other articles in the Social Media Untangled series……
Don’t forget to register to keep updated with the latest from RibbonFish!